Happiness is a convertible...

I had a high speed interface with a hole in the road a few weeks ago which bent a wheel. I decided to buy a scrap wheel and have them all refurbished. I took them to a local place, the guy gave me them back a week later. Yesterday I took them all to my local tyre shop to have 2 of my tyres refitted and 2 shiny new ones put on as well.

Today I got up and went to collect the wheels from the Tyre shop.

Came home, fitted the wheels. Went for a drive into town to buy an oil filter. This is the first time I have driven the car on decent rubber on dry roads, it corners great but isn't as fast as I remember (by comparison my other car has a 1.1 litre engine and is French).

I came home and discovered that one of the front brakes was binding.

It was a nice day so I decided to have a tinker. I don't really like brake calipers because of a bad experience with nipples about 15 years ago.

Anyway, I stripped the OSF caliper down, took the piston out and gave it a bit of a rub down, mopped all the rust out of it and put it back on, quick bleed and topped up the brake fluid.

So satisfied with my success was I that I decided to go and buy some eggs from the farm shop (they are always well fresh and uber tasty).

I came home and lo and behold it struck me to change the oil too!

So now my car is smooth as silk, stops on a sixpence, is using much less fuel than it has been and has the world's shiniest wheels.

Here is a picture:

To top it all it's poached eggs for tea. Yummy!

Reply to
Douglas Payne

nice car, but the steering wheel is on the wrong side ;)

Reply to
Christopher Muto

Excellent! Did you have an alignment done to go along with the new tires?

One of our resident Miata gurus, Lanny Chambers, has worked out a really nice alignment setup for street Miatas that is a great compromise between good handling and wear.

When I bought my first Miata 11 years ago, I had new tires installed and his alignment done within the first month. It felt like an entirely different and much improved car!

Have fun!

Pat

Reply to
pws

Very nice-looking! Sounds like a nice Spring day...... :-)

Pat

Reply to
pws

Beautiful car, great color! Remind me, what country is it that you are driving on the wrong side of the car in?

cd

99BBB
Reply to
Chris D'Agnolo

I haven't had alignment done, but it is on the list of things to do in the coming months. There is a place I have in mind which is a couple of hours drive away with a good reputation.

Thanks for the link, it makes interesting reading!

Reply to
Douglas Payne

I live near Aberdeen, in Scotland. (c: Of course I always drive on the correct side of the road.

Reply to
Douglas Payne

the wheels on the right side - hence right as opposed to wrong - I will brook no arguments - unlesss you disagree ofcourse :)

Reply to
thomas

I have to agree! RHD is the only way to go. However there are a few problems driving mine in Canada: drive through restaurants do not appreciate my going through backwards, and parkades are a challenge when I have to get out, run around the car, push the button, get the parking stub, and get back in before the barrier lowers back down, plus paying at the exit is the similar, and not appreciated when there is a lineup at the exit.

Stuart H. '91 Eunos Roadster (JDM) Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada

Reply to
Stuart H.

Thomas

It's hard to argue with that kind of prose, my friend! Can you translate 'brook no arguments for me please. 'Consider' possibly?

cd

99BBB
Reply to
Chris D'Agnolo

Cool! Somehow, I never got you in one of my 'who's hanging out here' threads.

Many MX-5's over there in your part of the world?

Chris

99BBB
Reply to
Chris D'Agnolo

Loads. I've no idea what the figures are, but convertibles sell particularly well in the UK and I see a lot when I am out and about.

I've seen the MX-5 described, probably more than once as 'the best british roadster ever made'.

We don't have to worry about it being too sunny here either. (c:

Reply to
Douglas Payne