removing half-shafts from torsen rear end

I am taking the half-shafts off of my torsen differential and want to be certain that I am doing it correctly. Here is a picture of the assembly, it looks like I need to take the clips off, and I don't see a way to do that without damaging them, so I am assuming that you replace them.

Do the two green stub shafts remain attached to the differential? Also, do the half-shafts pull out or are they bolted in? Any instructions or tips would be greatly appreciated.

Here is a pic if that helps explain what I am referring to.

Thanks!

Pat

Reply to
pws

The whole axle, including the green part pulls out of the final drive. Pry between the final drive case and the cv joint (the green thing) with a flat/crow bar and the axle stub pops out. You may need to rotate the axle a bit and try again if it it is stubborn. When re-fitting the axle, insure the gap in the retaining ring at the end of the axle stub is facing down.

Reply to
Chas Hurst

Thanks Chas! Luckily, I am selling these parts and will not have to put them back together myself, but I could just see myself screwing up one of the more valuable parts while taking it off of the car.

Working on differentials at all is one area that I have had very little experience with until now. I removed one from a 1990 model, but it had open bolts on the halfshafts, iirc.

Thanks again,

Pat

Reply to
pws