Last year of Miata name?

There is a rumour that Mazda has been sued by a bicycle manufacturer over the use of the Miata name. Because the car is known as the MX-5 in most parts of the world, the name, Miata, is to be discontinued. Next year's North American model will be called the MX-5.

Reply to
Larry Gadbois

Yes, there's a "Miyata" brand of bicycles.

Where did you hear this rumor? I googled for "miata miyata" and found nothing about a name conflict.

Reply to
Grant Edwards

"Larry Gadbois" wrote in news:p4Sjc.13157$eZ5.9495 @newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net:

The 2004 Mazdaspeed Miata is in fact badged as an MX-5 and not a Miata.

Reply to
-

The first I heard of it was here:

Common sense would say that the rumor is obviously false. Mazda has used the name commercially since 1989, so suing now should have no effect. Especially as long as Miyata doesn't make cars.

Of course, the American justice system isn't too concerned with common sense ...

Reply to
Per K. Nielsen

a Miata.

Heck, even my 1990 is badged as an MX-5.

But she also has a Miata badge. And she also had a Miata decal on the nose but that's long gone.

Iva & Belle.) '90B Classic Red.) #3 winkin' Miata

Reply to
Iva

"Iva" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@ptd.net:

I realize that all Miata's have MX-5 on the tail, but what I was getting at was that the 2004 MS Miata does not say "Miata" on it.

My Miata will always be miata to me. I am glad my badge says "miata".......even ifn they do drop the name. Probably make "miatas" more valuable

:-) ~Cissy My '90 Mazda Miata I love PC adventure games

Reply to
Expmiata

It sounds pretty suspicious to me.

It shouldn't. [IANAL -- though I did get deposed in one patent dispute.]

I don't think they do.

But in this case justice and a major American corpration (Ford) are on the same side. Miyata doesn't stand a chance. Ford/Mazda could probably win easily enough w/o being in the right...

Reply to
Grant Edwards

They have all been badged as MX-5 as the model designator and Miata as the common name. I don't think Mazda would give the name up that easily.

Tom

92 Red "Miata MX-5"

- wrote:

Reply to
Tom Howlin

FWIW, Miyata bicycles have been around since at least the early '80s (when I bought one). But they never became a major brand--they're even more marginalized now into a tiny niche--and I doubt there's a valid claim of name confusion diluting their ability to do business. I too have seen no actual reference to a lawsuit, only speculation.

Mazda has abandoned giving names to any of its new models. The Miata is the only holdover in the line, and I suspect they simply decided to cut the last tie to non-numerical car names. For marketing reasons, not legal ones.

Reply to
Lanny Chambers

It is also not badged as a Mazda, but rather as a Mazdaspeed.

It is directly comparable with AMG changing the model designations of the Mercedeses that they sell.

It doesn't mean that Mazda is (or isn't) going to change the marketing name of the MX-5 in North America.

Reply to
Sock Puppet

No but there is the doctrine of laches, which generally says that you can't wait for too long to assert whatever rights you might have. There are also statutes of limitations, if any are applicable in trademark cases. In other words, you can't wait 20 years to sue someone if you knew 20 years that what they were doing was damaging you or "wrong."

Of course, none of this should be construed as actual legal advice in any way! ;-) Just discussin' legal topics...

J.G.B.

Reply to
J.G. Ballard

"Grant Edwards" wrote

But then Pilot Pen doesn't make PDAs, but you can no longer buy a "Palm Pilot".

Reply to
Ken Lyons