Water in the Trunk-1995 Camry

After a day of driving in the rain, I noticed that the trunk well which holds the spare had an inch of water in it! Could not tell where it was coming in at all, after much searching. Anyone have any similar issues or solutions?

Reply to
camry-keeper

Check the seal where the trunk lid meets the body for damage or debris buildup. Pull out the spare, look for missing or damaged rubber plugs frame or rust holes. See if water is coming down from the rear window then inside the trunk and down into well. With this much water there may be a water stain trail to follow from the tire well to the source of the leak. Read the TN post at the bottom of this page.

Reply to
toyomoho

Does that model have the reflect accross the back? There was a TSP on that leaking and how to repair it (worked for my '93) -- check ALLDAT.com

Reply to
Wolfgang

Does it have a sunroof? The drain lines run through the sides of the trunk and sometimes come loose and fill up the nooks where the tools are kept. Otherwise you have a bad seal.

Reply to
badgolferman

We had the same problem with our '95. The dealer said it was a seal issue, and they could either try sealant or a new seal. The first ($60) fix failed, the second ($300) actually solved the problem. Sorry, but I don't have any more specific info.

Reply to
mj

=============== First place to check is the seal that runs around the trunk opening. Rain water from the rear window is channeled in the trough fromed by this seal, to driect water around the trunk opening and out the back. Any split or tear in the rubber would allow water to settle in the low spot - the spare tire wiell. Sometimes loading luggage into the trunk by sliding it instead of lifting it over the edge will damage this seal.

Reply to
Daniel

Get in the trunk.

Don't think about the guy that got the ride in the trunk in Jackie Brown.

look for light leaks.

Reply to
wp51

Had that problem in my '85 Camry. Took me a while to find it, but one of my taillights had a cracked lens. The taillight would collect about an inch of water before it spilled over and collected in the spare tire well. There had to have been three or four inches of water in the well (it rains a lot in Western Oregon).

Got a new lens from a junkyard for $10, and no more leaks.

HTH

Reply to
KJ