Bodywork

I've given my cars the first good jetwash of the year, and found a few small rust spots on one of them, as well as a biggish spot that I already knew about.

It's years since I did any bodywork (I run bangers and generally don't care about 'showroom' niceness, plus rust isn't so much of an issue now as it used to be).

However, I'd like to keep my R-reg BMW up to scratch, so I was wondering about sorting these bits out myself. However...

- it's a dark blue (Montreal Blue) which I understand can be difficult to match

- it's metallic

- the spots look like stone chips that have been left, only a few mm long but I can see rusty metal through the paint, and the edges have lifted slightly, so I'm guessing the actual rusted area is bigger.

Is it worth a go myself, or should I get a bodyshop to do them all at once? There are half a dozen small spots all over the place, and the one big spot is about 2" diameter but still solid metal.

Any tips?

Reply to
PCPaul

It depends where the damage is, and how fussy you are. If there's a swage line or end of a panel you can lose the join in, then you might manage with a rattle can, but most of the time it will look crap- the middle of a panel is a definite no if you're at all fussy as you're unlikely to match it perfectly. Remember you'll need lacquer too.

I've had very good results on small bits like mirror casings: given enough time and effort you can get them looking as good as the original.

Problem is, if the spots are all over, then you could end up painting half the car to get it right.

Tiny spots are best done with a touch up brush or the end of a cocktail stick, polishing in afterwards, but anything bigger than tiny starts to look a mess.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

Mostly they are low down on the sides - but still several inches into the panels.

That's what I was afraid of.. like ending up with a 6" high table by cutting the legs down to make them the same length.

Presumably a bodyshop wouldn't be *too* extreme as the same paint mix(?) would do for all the spots at once. Any idea what it would be likely to cost?

Is it worth me preparing it then just getting them to do the paint, or is that just a fast road to crap wavy panels and ending up paying them to do it all over again?

Reply to
PCPaul

To fill and paint a small dent (air gun pellet I think :-/) on our Lupo is going to cost £80ish. The same outfit charge 150 to prep and paint a bumper, which seems reasonablish to me based on experience. The dent is a small area, that they have to blend into the paint- it's on the area just above the door, where it joins the roof.

It's hard to say how much your repair will cost- it all depends, but yes, they should only need one lot of paint.

They'll probably want to prep thenselves. Best thing is to ask.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

There is a franshise company called Chips Away, I don't yet yet know their prices but I will be checking later with my local one as like you I have a couple of rusty stone chips on my car. I found my local one from their web site.

Reply to
Trevor Smith

I'm not sure that they deal with rust spots, but they are worth speaking to about other minor repairs.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

I've just had a quote from a dentman type paint bloke who's quoted me £70 to sort a light scratch on the tailgate, stone chips on the bit between the headlamp and bumper and a light scuff on the corner of the front bumper. None of it is heavy, but he is going to have to paint to sort 'em.

Mine's dark blue and will be a bugger to match, but he's bloody brilliant at matching paint.

Reply to
Pete M

I'll ask around then - that's an order of magnitude less than I was expecting it to be... although you probably get a trade price in the expectation of more work?

Reply to
PCPaul

Well, he is our regular dude, but I shouldn't think it'd be more than £120ish retail.

Reply to
Pete M