miata afm messed it up

Hello, I was planning to move my afm and un screwed my bolts rather than the metal clip and pulled out the afm circutry, then I said crap, quickly and gently tried to put it back in screwed it and crossed my finger when I tried to start it and it wouldn't. Pop it open again and tried to make sure the i didn't bend anything and tried to start again, this time came on with rough idle and a strong scent of gas.

So with that horry story, can someone just calm my nerves and tell me that I just need a new/used AFM and I didn't screw the car up. My Mazda dealership said it would be 85.00 just to check the car over then a possible 465.00 for a new AFM not including labor. I did call a local salvage yard and they have one for 75.00 big differnce. Can someone confirm that I was an idiot and that the used AFM is all and is there anything I need to look for on the used AFM from the salvage yard? Quick note if the salvage yard has a RX-7 AFM, should I just go ahead and get that one instead?

Thanks for any and all replies, this is the only place that helps without charging an hourly fee.

Reply to
forgetitgary

Messed up AFM won't mess anything else up that quickly (if ever). No need to spend $85 for a diagnosis, you know what's wrong and why. I've heard you may be able to fix the AFM after making that mistake, on the other hand it's easier just to get a salvage yard one. Make sure that they give you some sort of guarantee, at least that it works, some yards give 30 days. I understand there's no advantage from the RX7 AFM unless you're running forced induction. Basically, the air flow capacity of the AFM just isn't a limiting factor for your engine.

John ('94 Miata) jsgmcclary at cox dot net

Reply to
John

Read this:

Lanny Chambers

Well got the used AFM and my baby is back on the road this morning. Stupid is Stupid does and Stupid will not make that mistake twice. Thanks for the help.

Reply to
forgetitgary

Especially

Leon

Reply to
Leon van Dommelen

I have read several times that the RX-7 AFM swap is not advantageous for an unmodified Miata, but apparently the writers had not done dyno tests, at least not on a 1.6L. It still looks like there's no real advantage for those of us with 1.8 engines.

Any readers who've done this mod, what's going on in the first set of dyno curves (pink and red) from 2500 to 3500 rpm? Does the RX7 AFM really smooth out the powercurve that much, or was there something wrong with the way this engine was running on this run?

John

Reply to
John

It should offer an advantage on a 1.8 swapped into a pre-94 Miata, using the 1.6 ECU. It would likely not work at all on a post-93 Miata, becuse the ECU is looking for the signal from a hot-wire MAS, not a flapper-door AFM.

Reply to
Lanny Chambers

The 1.8 doesn't have the flap-style meter in the first place, does it?

Reply to
Matthew Russotto