Mk 1 heater only works on recirculate?

Can anyone help with the above please? I have a (new to me) 1995 Uk spec model. Very happy with it so far. The weather's still relatively good here, still above freezing, but I've noticed that the heater doesn't really work when the air setting is on fresh air. If I move it to recirculate, then the heater works really well. Is this normal? I've googled but can only find articles relating to the heater being continuously on.

TIA

Reply to
Simon Wilson

The control levers for the heater are located behind the glovebox. Remove the glovebox and you can get at them for repairs or adjustments.

The hot water is always flowing through the heater core. The temperature control on the dash controls the mix of unheated air from outside with the air that is heated by the core. Maybe the temperature control cable has become disconnected, damaged, or the door or operating lever is not working.

Good luck.............

Reply to
lgadbois

Please describe in detail what you mean by "doesn't really work." It works a little? Cold air comes out? No air comes out? Purple lizards come out? With or without the fan?

Reply to
Lanny Chambers

Why would purple lizards try to steal a fan??

Reply to
Leon van Dommelen

For their fan dance, of course.

Reply to
XS11E

Is the fan dance performed *with* the fans, or *for* them?

miker

Reply to
miker

Yes, of course it is.

Reply to
XS11E

I think he's confusing the purple lizards with their blue cousins.

Reply to
Lanny Chambers

Ours is performed under them.

-- Larry

Reply to
pltrgyst

Ah... so the fan has to be lapped.

miker

Reply to
miker

Lap dancing with a fan? Sounds risky...

Reply to
Lanny Chambers

And risque.

miker

Reply to
miker

On older cars the foam rubber round the heater can crumble away, allowing cold fresh air to bypass it. This is apparently fixable without ripping out the dash:

Zog The Undeniable

Bingo. Thanks for that. The foam wasn't crumbled away, but the pipe between the fan and the heater matrix wasn't connected properly at either end.

Reply to
Simon Wilson