Muffler Break-In

Does a new muffler take time to break-in? Odor? Pressure?

Reply to
Pat

Yes. My HKS in particular smelled after this anti-rust stuff they put on there for quite some time.

Not that I know off. Unless you left packing material in there. :)

Leon

Reply to
Leon van Dommelen

The exhaust goes though newly made baffles. Doesn't it take time for the heat and pressure to change the physical characteristics and adjust over time? I've noticed at first the muffler was not as smooth and wishing I had the old muffler without the loud noise. Now, after some miles, it seems more peppy and smoother at higher RPMs but I can still sense less smoothness (nothing objectionable) at lower RPMs. Not unlike how it was when the original muffler was newer.

Reply to
Pat

If you bought the car new, then you would have broken in a new muffler along with new everything else. I've done this a few times with different cars, including the Miata. If there is something significant going on with the muffler, I probably would have noticed. In fact, I have not really noticed anything.

Ken

Reply to
Ken Stoorza

It is possible that your perception is changing with time (i.e., you become familiar with the new muffler so it seams like the old muffler). I know that I go through this every time I change something on the car. At first I notice every squeak and rattle since I am focused on what ever is new but eventually it all fades into the normal sound of the Miata.

Gus (91 BRG)

Reply to
Gus

Gus, I think you have hit the nail on the head. It seems fine and I guess its not the muffler that needed breaking in, its me. However, I definitely do believe there is some initial odor that gets burned off over time.

Reply to
Pat

Can't argue with you on that one.

Gus (91 BRG)