What did I fry in my dashboard?

Over the weekend I fried a red/gray (or black) wire located just to the right of the steering column leading into the center console in my '92 Miata along the bottom of the dashbord. It paralleled a blue wire.

My guess is there was a short involving the Viper security system toggle switch, which I repeatedly have had I to tuck back up under the dashboard. The short happened as I opened the door, turning on the interior lights, even before putting the key in the ignition. After a lot of grayish white smoke from under the dash and through the center console back towards the ashtry, the charred wire fell to the floor. I was able to start the car and all other electric functions appeared to be working -- lights, turning signals, wipers, radio, dashboard gauges and lights -- and drive the 40 miles or so home.

I'm about the fourth owner since the Viper system was installed and have never used it or set it and am not familiar with it, so don't know if that's what fried.

Appc any thoughts on what I should be looking for and how to repair.

Hugh

HughChardon51

I think that you are on the right track with the alarm system.

Any OEM wire burning out like that would probably set off your CEL, and it would definitely stop your wipers, lights, horn or something related to the steering column area at the very least.

You did not mention year model, but I have found very few wiring issues with even the 1990-1993 miatas except for cleaning various contacts as normal.

I would either have an alarm shop verify that this is the case and yank the whole thing out or trace down the wires yourself.

The wires should be fairly obvious as non-OEM since they won't be integrated into the main wiring harness, and will be connected to the alarm control box, most likely somewhere under the dash.

Good luck!

Pat

Reply to
pws

Sounds to me like it "repaired" itself. If you have no other problems, forget about it.

Reply to
Lanny Chambers