Trackday at Abbeville

Blimey was it pissing down - we extended the lunch break simply because we would've needed an outboard motor to get around the circuit.

Other than that, cracking circuit for a slower car like my MX5, learned plenty of stuff (it was more of a track school rather than a trackday[1]) including the important information that MX5s are crap tools for tending the lawn. Obviously, that was shortly after I marvelled how well the new trackday tyres were gripping the very wet tarmac.

Also got to drive a tweaked Mini Cooper S (the newer one) belonging to the other participant. Nice enough car, but it did reinforce my opinion that loads of power and FWD don't really mix well.

[1] Pistonheads forum members might know what I'm talking about.
Reply to
Timo Geusch

Glad to see you enjoyed it.

I love track days, but haven't had a chance to do anything this year. Mostly because I rarely have time or the weather to prepare the car. Lack of a fairly important bit is also an issue - the header tank is weeping and I'm afraid it may let go if I push the car.

Out of interest, what was the all-in cost of getting there, doing the day, and coming back - not including the set of tyres you killed or other consumables?

Reply to
SteveH

Get someone to make you an alloy one then?

No tyres where shredded in the process - they actually held up amazingly well given that they're fairly soft compound trackday tyres.

The day with intensive instruction was 500 quid, plus 50 quid for the Eurotunnel day return. The normal trackdays down there are a lot cheaper, the same guy I did this day with was running a regular trackday there yesterday which AFAIK cost around 110 quid.

Reply to
Timo Geusch

Sounds like a top day :-) I always think trying a wet track day would be great fun. I was meant to go to one not long ago with my mate and his dad with his R1 engined 7 clone kit car but they bailed brcause it was really heavy rain, and the trackday was at Elvington 45-50 miles away and they have no roof. I was unwell anyway, so wouldn't have been able to make it - although if they'd rang and said "Are you sure you're not coming....?" I'm sure I would've changed my hehe ;-).

Do you have any pics of the day? I don't think I've ever seen the Timo5 ?

Do you have a link to a circuit layout? Is it very tight and twisty? Mine would be good on most tracks, except places like Monza hehe - but I doubt I'll be doing one there (although it seems people do!

- look at it clinging onto that Porsche hehehe! Awesome).

According to the 5th Gear review vs 197, the Mini is prone to spinning up the inside front wheel? The guys at Evo reckon once you've learned to 'drive round' that they're pretty epic. Shame there wasn't an R27/197 Cup for you to try hehe - I really really want someone here to drive one, especially on a track - just to see what I make so much fuss about! It has no spinning up issues, even tight corner foot down, it just grips and goes :-)

Reply to
DanB

Just plucking up the courage to ask for a quote on that front ;-)

That's bloody good value, and something I'd consider if I lived closer.

Hmmmm, maybe next year I'll plan for a mid-week break with Katie and take in a track day whilst we're over there.

Reply to
SteveH

It was, but it's a bit scary if you get standing water on the track...

Nope, it was literally the four of us - one Marshall, one instructor and two pupils, so there was a maximum of two cars on the track at any given time :)

In all its sheddy glory. Mind you, I've removed the Mazdaspeed seat that's visible in the picture and put a bucket seat back in.

Here you go:

It is pretty tight, not quite as flat as it looks but the only really visible dips are at the end of the long(-ish) straight just before you get to the little 'knee' section (bottom left) and at the chicane at the end of the back straight.

I think it would be good on this track as it sounds well balanced, which IMHO is what you'd need. Well, that and grip...

It was scrabbling for grip all over the place. Obviously the traction control was turned off, otherwise it'd probably be still stuck in the pit lane :). That, and it had *massive* amounts of torque steer.

Basically, driving around the track (in a borrowed car, so I didn't try to drive it like I stole it) was like I was taking granny out for tea.

I'd say they're probably talking bollox. The instructor on the day was Ben Elliott

and I had the impressionthat he had a vague idea of what he was doing. I've seen how he was able to throw my MX5 around the track, and yet the same guy was not able to even stay close to me driving the Mini. The classic one was when he was driving the Mini with me in the passenger seat and trying everything to get some speed out of it. And like a clockwork, at the beginning of the kinked straight, the MX5 would disappear from the mirror and at the end of the knee section (ie, after the first two turns, the MX5 would have almost caught up and by the time you got to the second bend that makes up the big 'S' curve[1], it'd be trying to overtake because the Mini was holding it up.

Even though I'm not a big fan of FWD, I actually would like to try one of the hotter Clios. If my next vehicle purchase comes through (currently pending Pre-Purchase Inspection) I'd probably be getting rid of the A8 and replace it with a practical small hatchback[2]. Thinking Clio Williams at the moment...

[1] That one looks deceptively easy, but the first part of it has a decreasing radius. Supposedly the most spun-off corner on the circuit. [2] I can't really justify to myself having more than a single German car, especially one where Piech has been involved, and completely said purchase would take the count up to two.
Reply to
Timo Geusch

Yeah, I can see why. In the grand scheme of things it's probably not that expensive but you're still talking a couple of hundred or so.

I'd certainly go back to a trackday there (Lotus On Track does a lot of them over there and they're happy to have MX5s on the track with them) and it's great as an instruction circuit because there are very few places where you'd actually hit something if you screw up. Not like Brands where you've got the armco looming over you everywhere.

Good plan. There's even a basic motel just outside the circuit.

Reply to
Timo Geusch

Actually, the whole thing needs a respray - it's about four different shades of red at the moment, no thanks to Mazda's quick-oxidising paint.

It would probably be unpatriotic or somesuch bollocks.

Heh. If we ever get to arrange another meet, I'll try to join the queue!

Not bad, bit too much sideways action from the 197 for my liking...

Reply to
Timo Geusch

+

Job done.

Reply to
SteveH

Random co-incidence, I've just noticed the Fabia vRS he does under braking at around 2:40. Then later he gets lunched by a Scooby on the straight, but then he brakes, literally half the distance from the corner as the Scoob! But then on the following straight it's gone heh :-)

Reply to
DanB