Tire Wear

I bought a new 2004 in March and now have 24,000 miles on it. I had to replace the tires last week as they had no tread left on them ( I did not check them as often as I should have - just assumed that tires would last longer than this and only rotated once).

Can someone help me understand if this is something that I can look forward to forever (this is my first Miata and I love it!!). I have 205/45/16 size tires. I would prefer to replace them next time with higher profile and smaller size, any recommendations?? I use the car more as a fun commuter (about 100 miles per day) but do occasionally enjoy taking 30mph corners at

70mph, and also occasionally exceed 100mph during the commute.

Thanks for your help!

JohnnyA '04Silver

Reply to
johnnya

If your car came with Bridgestone Touranza E30 tires, you did well to get

24K out of them. I'm replacing mine at 18K. They are a performance tire with a very low treadwear rating. I'm switching to Yokohama AVS ES-100s. It is still a performance tire, but I expect them to last closer to 30K.

Randy

Reply to
Randy Maheux

You are exactly right, it came with the Bridgestone's. I probably got more miles because mine were completely bald, they looked like racing slicks on the back.

They were so far gone that I just took what they had in stock without any research. Goodyear said that they were good tires for what I needed. They are TOYO's Proxes FZ4 All Season High Performance tire. Any comments on these? Also, what tire pressure do you recommend?

Thanks, JohnnyA

Reply to
johnnya

You can read allot about them on miata.net but you already own them so don't sweat it too much. They're decent IIRC. Tire pressure recomendations go from

26 psi to 35psi but most people seem to agree 28 to 30 works pretty well on most tires.

Chris

92BB&T
Reply to
Chris D'Agnolo

I run 30 PSI in mine.

Reply to
Randy Maheux

You going to have to slow down a bit in the corners a bit, with those tires, but they will last longer. I like 28 lb.

Reply to
Frank Berger