NMC - But I do own one! Battery/Starter Question

I recently put a new (rebuilt) starter and a new battery in my Chevy Suburban at the same time. The old battery had 775 CCA, the new has 875 CCA. The new starter seems to *really* crank over. Here's my question - Is the new battery pushing the starter harder (possibly decreasing its life expectancy) -OR- does the starter only pull the amps it needs, not more, so the extra 100 are sitting in reserve so to speak. I realize that the old worn-out starter had 120K+ on it, but the noise is considerably louder. It's not a grinding sound so I don't think it's a flywheel spacing issue, it just really seems like the starter is cranking really hard. Almost too quickly maybe?

Any thoughts? Thanks....

Reply to
Charlie Brandt

If you installed the correct 12 volt starter and you have a 12 volt battery, there shouldn't be a problem unless your old starter had some shims or a spacer between the bell housing and the starter and you lost that. More Cold Cranking Amps just means your battery can crank the engine over better in extreme cold weather. I live in cold country and I always buy the heaviest CCA battery that will fit. John

Reply to
John

The new battery will push the starter harder. But assuming everything's installed properly, not enough to cause any problems.

Reply to
Matthew Russotto