Only in Texas? Fact or urban myth?

NEVER KNEW THIS BEFORE...

I wonder how many people know about this?

A 36year old female had an accident several weeks ago and

Totaled her car.

A resident of Kilgore, Texas, she was traveling between

Gladewater & Kilgore. Itwas raining, though

not excessively, when her car suddenly began to

hydro-plane and literally flew through the air. She

was not seriously injured but very stunned at the

sudden occurrence!

When she explained to the highway patrolman what

had happened he told her something that every driver

should know - NEVER DRIVE IN THE RAIN WITH

YOUR CRUISE CONTROL ON. She had thought she

was being cautious by setting the cruise control and

maintaining a safe consistent speed in the rain.

But the highway patrolman told her that if the

cruise control is on and your car begins to hydro-plane --

when your tires lose contact with the pavement, your

car will accelerate to a higher rate of speed and you

take off like an airplane. She told the patrolman that

was exactly what had occurred.

The patrolman said this warning should be listed,

on the driver's seat sun-visor - NEVER USE THE

CRUISE CONTROL WHEN THE PAVEMENT

IS WET OR ICY, along with the airbag warning. We tell

our teenagers to set the cruise control and drive a safe

speed - but we don't tell them to use the cruise control

only when the pavement is dry.

The only person the accident victim found, who

knew this (besides the patrolman), was a man who had

had a similar accident, totaled his car and sustained

severe injuries.

If you send this to 15 people and only one of them

doesn't know about this, then it was all worth it. You

might have saved a life.

NOTE: Some vehicles when the windshield wipers are on, you

can not set the cruise control. Like the Toyota Sienna

Limited XLE is one of them.

Reply to
hotclub57

Either way - it's being doing the rounds for some years.

If it's the truth, the silly sod deserves all she got - cruise control is a convenience, not a "safety" feature.

Reply to
Mr Q

If you're hydroplaning, spinning the tires faster won't do a damned thing. What it will do is make it extremely difficult to establish and maintain control when you cease hydroplaning. And even then, you're much more likely to spin than do anything else.

The likelihood of her car having enough power to make it fly is about the same as an Audi (or a 'vette) having enough power to override its brakes -- nil.

-- Larry

Reply to
pltrgyst

It's in the owner's manual. Doesn't anyone read anymore?

Reply to
Lanny Chambers

Read, yes. Comprehend, not necessarily.

I have never read this in an owner's manual, it just seemed like common sense to have the cruise control off whenever driving conditions were not ideal, whether that was rain, heavy traffic, construction, or whatever. Only about half of my cars have had it, (working anyway), and I only used it on fairly long trips for the most part.

Pat

Reply to
pws

Not in Cleburne, according to one source.

Reply to
Frank Berger

Frank, that is not what I said. I stated that reading was not their strong point. There are probably as many as 6 residents who can read in that nasty collection of buildings and streets that they try to pass off as a town or city. ;-)

Pat

Reply to
pws

When driving a front wheel drive vehicle, you loose steering when the front wheels start spinning as a result of hydroplaning. If one wheel gains traction before the other while driving with the cruise control on, you can be violently jerked out of your lane. With the cruise control on, the recovery time is longer as you apply the brakes to turn it off and regain traction.

Driving a Miata or other RWD vehicle does have some benefits when experiencing hydroplaning, or when driving on icey roads, as you usually lose traction first on the driven wheels.

Reply to
lgadbois

Same here, just common sense. I seem to be leery of mindless devices that may want to stand on the gas or come back on it when I am on ice or hydroplaning or trying to stop quickly. Still, I *thought* I had read my NA Owner's Manual. (Before reading my NC owner's manual, I plan to have a practice run with "War and Peace", but you know how that goes.)

Apparently the mentioned driver was (correctly) figuring that the speed she was driving was too much for her capabilities and she decided to let the magical device do it for her, to maintain a "safe" *consistent* speed. It seems to me she was recognizing she had difficulty keeping into control at the speed she wanted to go, and instead of slowing down as a normal person would do, she threw the ball at the mindless cruise control hoping for miracles that would prevent her from actually having to (gasp) slow down.

Then, when the mindless cruise control could not change the laws of physics lifting tires off the road when moving through water at excessive speed either, her great mind allowed her to conclude that she was flying through the air like an airplane.

The positive aspect of this story I like most is that she is living in Texas.

Leon

Reply to
Leon van Dommelen

On one of my cars, the cruise control becomes inoperable if the wipers are at a high enough setting.

Reply to
tooloud

srddw