OT: Other car purchase question

Hey all,

As this is one of the few NGs where I can (somewhat) trust the opinions of the posters, I humbly seek you opinion(s) as to a current decision I need to make.

My first car (that wasn't handed down to me from my parents--that would by my '78 Dipolmat!) was a then two-year-old '94 Ford Probe. It was either that or the MX-6. The Probe ran so well that after I got it paid for, and got a better job, I bought my then two-year-old '99 Miata. It has been one of the better investments I've made as far as enjoyment is concerned! But I still use the Probe when I need more cargo capacity, etc.

But the Probe is showing the signs of having 150,000 miles put on it. That, combined with a recent cost-of-living wage increase, put me in the mind to get a new(er) car to replace the Probe.

I was initially leaning towards the only slightly less practical RX-8 and Infiniti I-35 coup. These, however, push my financial limits, and my post-Christmas case of "new car fever" subsided. (Without test driving either, which could have been dangerous to my checkbook!)

This overly-long lead up brings me to my current situation. My boss is planning on buying a new car, and is therefore looking to get rid of his very-well-maintained Mercedes CLK 320. It's a '98 with 59,000 miles. For whatever it's worth, KBB tells me that the private-party value for this is about $18,900. Edmunds says the retail TMV is ~$23,300. The Mercedes dealer will only give my boss substantially less than this, so he's offering it to me for $17,000.

It's a VERY nice car, and it seems to be a good deal, but I have some reservations. First, I'm used to my Japanes-made Miata, and am fearful of M-B's workmanship and any repair/maintenance costs. Also, the money I spend could be used towards buying a less fancy new car with a warranty and peace of mind. (or if I don't buy a new car, a new Power Mac G5! :) )

Questions, comments, concerns, opinions? Anybody?

Thanks in advance,

Jon (remove the obvious spam-blocker to reply via email)

Reply to
J.G. Ballard

Great price, nice car, reliability average, cost of repairs astronomical. In other words, it ain't no Miata but hey, if you like MB, then it's a fantastic deal. Before you buy it, call the dealer and get a price quote on either the 60K service package or something like a brake job - if your hearts still beating, buy it.

Tom

92 Red

J.G. Ballard wrote:

Reply to
Tom Howlin

Tough question.

I would say, drive it and see if it feels right. IIRC the CLK is quite a nice car. Not super fast but plenty quick and fast to be entertaining. Not bad looking either for a Mercedes either.

Good Luck, Chris

92BB&T
Reply to
Chris D'Agnolo

A UK used-car magazine says "Build and refinement is at the top, and all models are well kitted out. Avoid the slug-like 200 with venom and choose the 230K Kompressor, or 320 if finances allow".

Another says "Excellent engineering, refned ride, satisfying performance from the supercharged 230K and the V6 320 and 430 models. Service history is vital."

In Europe M-B have a strong image for reliability, but even over here they are expensive as hell to maintain. I reckon the spanners have silver plating :)

Knowing the history is obviously a huge factor - if your boss has loved it you won't go wrong. But I echo the point about getting some idea of the service etc prices.

At the price you are talking you could possibly run it for a year and sell it on at a small profit if you hate it - think of it as an extended test drive?

jay

Reply to
Jason Good