poor gas mileage 2000 Miata

hey-
Ever since I got my 2000 Miata (new) it's gotten between about 20 and 25 mpg. If I drive a lot of short trips, top down, foot in it, closer to 20
(21-22 normal), and if I keep the top up and the A/C off, commute, it'll clear 25.
I asked around when the car was new and the concensus was this was normal for an NB, but would have been considered abnormal for an NA.
So is it in fact normal for an NB? If so, is there any way to improve it (aka make it a little more like an NA)?
Thx-
josh wrote:

That seems a tad low to me; my 2002 will do 25MPG-ish, top-down, with about an even split of moderate highway driving and more spirited foothills driving. It's a 2002 SE with JRSC running around 7psi.
Dana

Lanny has directions to get 40 mpg out of it. It just requires the right mind-set.
Leon

--
Leon van Dommelen :) Bozo, the White 96 Sebring Miata .)
snipped-for-privacy@dommelen.net http://www.dommelen.net/miata
Leon van Dommelen wrote:

It makes me almost feel pain to think about what that mind-set must entail.
Shudder. Brrrrrrrrr!!!
Dana

That's normal for my '99 NB as well. I get 20 in the city, and about 25-26 on the hwy.
H.