pricing of 1991 Miata

I am looking in to purchasing a 1991 Miata and I'm wondering if someone could give me an idea of what I should be paying. Its a 1991 with 59000 miles. It had one owner and was garaged in the winter. It is clear of dings or dents and no rust. The interior is extremly clean.

Thank you

Reply to
ursula.s

A used car dealer in Roseland Florida on US1 had a '91 on the lot a few months ago. It had 180,000 miles on it. There was rust evident in many places, not serious rust but rust none the less. The body panals did not fit well. The enterior was shappy. I didn't drive it. It was a stick. It was listed at $2,500. I don't know what they got for it.

Reply to
~AlicGinnis~

The edmunds.com price calculator says about $1,500 from a private party, or $2,300 from a dealer. Personally, if the VIN is lower than 209447 I would avoid the car, because it has a potential crankshaft issue that could be expensive to fix. FYI, the timing belt is due for replacement at 60k.

You'll find excellent advice on buying a used Miata at miata.net.

Reply to
Lanny Chambers

That's about right for a "typical" 1991 Miata. (120,000+ miles, worn seats, and/or trashed top, possibly rained-in, etc.) This one sounds especially clean and well-cared for, no dings and a clean interior. It has low miles, but not necessarily too low.

If it has not been wrecked, has a good top and runs well, it would fetch $3,000 almost immediately in Austin on Craigslist from a private party, maybe $3500.00.

I agree about the VIN, unless he plans to swap that 1.6 for a 1.8 liter anyway. Same with the timing belt, it is time due to age as much as anything.

Pat

Reply to
pws

Actually, at edmunds I specified that mileage and checked the highest condition category. A high-mileage '91 would be worth about $500 less.

Austin Miata prices may indeed run higher than the national average. We don't know where the car in question lives.

Reply to
Lanny Chambers

Must be, I would love to be able to pick up a 1991 Miata in great, low-mileage condition for $1500.00 from an individual. Any Miata in that price range around here is badly trashed.

This is also a terrible time to be driving a Miata here except at night or early morning. October through March was great, but the time of the year seems to have little effect on the cost of Miatas that I have seen.

$1500.00 is less than many people will put in their gas tank in a year, scary.

Pat

Reply to
pws

I sold my for almost 6000 Euro. But it was a BRG.

so goodbye group

schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@k37g2000hsf.googlegroups.com...

Reply to
dingo

Crank and belt issue aside (hard to put them aside), I've seen similar go for around $5k. The older they are with lower mileage...when well cared for, that is...the more and more they seem to be thought of as collector cars. It feels pretty good to drive a classic!

If you're set on that year, research the crap out of the short nose crank issue. Not pretty.

If you're not set on the year, and you're looking for something in the $5K range, I'd seek out a 96 or 97 with low mileage in good condition. Got mine with a few bumps and scratches for $3900 at 84K miles, wearing Montego Blue. Lots of options out there, anyways.

Reply to
r0lliSl1fe

That comes out to $9,226.79 USD. Which country?

I remember that it is extremely expensive to buy a car in Denmark because of the taxes involved. Do you know what the car cost when it was new?

Pat

You'll be back, they all come back. Well, most of them.

Where has Leon been hiding for so long? No chance that he got bored with our jabberings. Maybe he traded his Miatas in on a BMW. ;-)

Pat

Reply to
pws

Last night my wife and I went out to dinner and instead of a movie we tooled around on the back roads for a couple of hours. Very pleasant, I have to say.

Here in Central Florida, during the day this time of year I usually have the top up and the air on blast.

Reply to
Carbon

"r0lliSl1fe" wrote

Then the '97s can have the oil pump issue and the tail pipes can fall off the muffler. Perhaps at 11 years, those have already happened if they are ever going to. Tailpipe at 31,000 miles and oil pump at 41,500 for my '97. I'd go for '96, given the choice.

Reply to
Ken Lyons