question for Canadians in the group

has anybody any experience with ordering parts, etc. from the U.S., as opposed to buying locally from a Canadian supplier, like Performance Plus ? just wondering what the Canada Customs hit is on auto parts if I order directly from the U.S. If I buy KYB AGX from the U.S. for $95 each, that's $380 plus shipping/handling of $47 totaling $427 U.S. which converts to approx $585 Canadian. Performance Plus in Toronto wants $171 each for a total of $684 Canadian (prices include shipping) Any idea on what the customs duty rate is ?

Reply to
Pete Breemhaar
[...]

Don't forget about the extra "handling fees" that some carriers charge for dealing with customs above and beyond the duty itself. IIRC, the Postal Service doesn't charge anything extra, but UPS adds on a fair chunk. Don't know about FedEx or the others.

Reply to
Grant Edwards

Reply to
Johnny

"Pete Breemhaar" wrote in news:GJwvc.26354$ snipped-for-privacy@nntp-post.primus.ca:

Don't ship UPS. Their brokerage charges are out to lunch! When ever possible I ship USPS Air. The place of manufacture is will dictate applicable duties. I believe US made parts are duty free but subject to GST and perhaps PST (depending on province).

Rod

Dunno about custom duties but after the US value is translated into Canadian dollars, they charge the GST, then the PST on the combined result.

I get stuff send ground mail because the brokers intercept orders sent by air, and charge an arm and a leg to "liberate" your package from customs, something I can do myself if I'd known it had arrived, before they got their claws on it.

Reply to
Nora