Radio Button spring action is gone

My '99 Miata radio power/volume push button is not working as well as it used to. It feels like the spring that gives the button a distinct in/out feel when you push it is broken. It still works, but when I go to change the volume, I have to be extra careful not to accidentally turn it off. It's pretty annoying.

I've talked to two different Mazda service man and they gave me conflicting information.

One says that the power/volume spring is within the radio unit. This would require the radio to be removed and taken apart. He's not sure if the spring is accessible at all.

The other service man told me that the button should easily slide off the shaft, with the spring right there for easy replacement, if a replacement spring is available - which he doubts. He tried to pull the knob off without success. He did not force it. Maybe the broken spring is causing the knob to be stuck on..

Anyone know the truth about my radio? Is there an easy way to replace the power/volume knob spring?

The radio top right identifier is "1M32". I tried attaching a picture but my post did not go through.

TIA, Pat Dreiding Plano, TX

Reply to
Pat Dreiding

Yes, the picture got to me just fine.

Not sure about the radio though. Everything is made for disposal and replacement today.

-John

Reply to
Generic