Re: Spitfires, Hurricanes and Sports Cars (NMC)

On Saturday, 6 June 1998 08:00:00 UTC+1, Kennedy wrote:

Hahaha. Just found this old thread when searching for something on Google so I had to point out that, 20 years on, your Hypersonic airliner still hasn't got off the drawing board. ;-)
--
Kennedy
First a 91 - Classic Red: Registration Plate - Jill RKM
On Tue, 11 Dec 2018 11:34:11 -0800, kennedymcewen1958 wrote:

Hope springs eternal. Maybe new technology may achieve where previous efforts faltered. But the basic idea is not new at all, just the "catamaran" idea dating back at least half a millennium. By having a dual body/wing, the two bodies can reflect each other's wave energy back to each other, rather than letting it escape to infinity. This can in principle kill the supersonic boom problem, as well as the large power requirements to replenish all that lost energy.
Of course this is only for supersonic flow. I did not check the actual dates, but I would be pretty sure the hypersonic airliner idea dated from the time that crack cocaine was introduced. ;)
Leon Now in a 2016 Miata and eyeing a 2018.