Removal of climate control panel - need some advice

Saturday, while taking a late afternoon drive, I discovered that the control that directs the ventilation air flow no longer does so. It moves freely back and forth.

I've removed the center console and the trim around the radio/climate control panel. From the shop manual, I need to remove the climate control panel to get behind it to the connections that I need to repair. How do I get the small plastic knobs off the sliders? I'm leery of applying too much force and breaking them.

Thanks, Jim '93 Red B +--------------------+ | PLEASE DO NOT FEED | | THE TROLL. | | THANK YOU. | | -- The Management | +--------------------+ | | | | O o | | | __\|/___=\| |/=_\|/____

Reply to
Jim

Well, after posting this I took another look and found the set screws holding on the plastic pieces. I've removed them, I might even find the set screws when I need to put them back. I still am unable to get behind the controls to check the mechanism. From what I can see by looking under the climate control panel, it looks like a cable is attached to the control. Anyone know where the other end of that cable is? I'm wondering if that is the end that came loose.

Reply to
Jim

Do these pictures help at all?

Pat

Reply to
pws

A bit. Looking at the second, does the unit just pull out with the cables attached?

Jim

Reply to
Jim

Once you have unhooked the cables at their vent receiving ends, the control unit will pull straight out with the cables attached, but this was from a total tear down car. I am not sure how easy this is on one that is intact.

I also can't remember how the cables attach at the vent control ends, I think that they snapped on, iirc, but it has been over a year since I pulled the part and I do not have my manual at this location.

It seems like there should be an easier way to reconnect the one cable than pulling the entire unit, but I have never worked on a Miata climate control system.

Pat

Reply to
pws

Reply to
Christopher Muto

Yes, I have found that book to be far more useful than the factory manual for almost all repairs and service.

I thought that I remembered the cables just popping off, I guess a little gray matter is still functioning up there after all.

Pat

Reply to
pws

Thanks Chris. I'd given up and put everything back together. After reading your email, I've ordered the book. I'll attempt this project again after it comes in.

Jim

Reply to
Jim