Squeezing Noise - 1991 Miata

I loud squeezing noise comes when I start the car, sound like a fan belt, I checked the belt and it is in good shape and not loose, the noise goes away after a while. any ideas.

Thanks

Abid

Reply to
akhan

do you meal 'squealing' possibly? I'll assume so, there are products that you can spray on the belt (called belt dressing) or you can take the poor mans way out by carefully trying to let a bar of soap rub against the underside edges of the belt as the engine is running. This MIGHT help. Another thing could be the belt is too tight or, it could be a bearing on the alternator or waterpump that's squealing like a belt usually does.

Good luck, Chris

99BBB
Reply to
Chris D'Agnolo

"Chris D'Agnolo" wrote in news:b558f$44690b99$471d48fd$ snipped-for-privacy@ALLTEL.NET:

I'll bet that's what he meals....

Can we start an entire thread consisting entirely of typos? Sure we caan!

Reply to
XS11E

ya, no ploblem.Oops.

Chris

99BBB
Reply to
Chris D'Agnolo

I'm shure you mint "opps."

Reply to
Lanny Chambers

oh, of corse!

Chris

99BBB
Reply to
Chris D'Agnolo

Wood yew too pleeze stopp? Letz git bakk two hiz noiz ishue.

Patt

Reply to
pws

cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg. The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy,

it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm.

Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig huh? yaeh and I awlyas tghuhot slpeling was ipmorantt! if you can raed tihs psas it on !!

Reply to
Wileyman

You win. It took maybe half a second longer at the most to read that post than it would have if every word had been spelled correctly. That is a bit scary.

Pat

Reply to
pws

ur ah o r igh ha o a. oo os!

eo ;

Reply to
Leon van Dommelen

There are a couple of belts on my '90; I don't know about yours. Any one can squeal. Rubber actually has a negative temperature coefficient, which means that they get tighter as they get hot. That's probably why the squeal goes away. It's not so easy to tell if they are properly tightened unless you have some sort of gage. Also, if the belt is worn, I suppose it could squeal even if it is reasonably tight.

You can tighten it (or them...if more than one, I suggest you do this one at a time) and see if it makes a difference. If these belts have been on the car for a long time, you might want to go through the additional (but not all that much) effort of changing them.

Ken

Reply to
KWS

"KWS" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

Another cause of squeal is something binding. If one or more of the pulleys the belt turns doesn't turn freely the belt will slip.

Common cause used to be the old GM long style AC compressors that got harder and harder to turn as they went bad. It was gradual and folks used to just tighten up belts to fix the problem which was a temporary fix and caused additional damage as the belts were too tight.

Moral: Check the belts, if they're good and the tension is correct you're probably better off not tightening them up more, look for the problem before doing that.

Reply to
XS11E