Mirrors w/o doors????

What do some of you do for side mirrors when the doors ar off. I've thought about getting motorcycle mirrors with the long threaded rod and double bolt them onto the open hinges. Anyonr done something like that? I've looked around for them but coul not find them. Where could I purchase a set?

Reply to
Spark

L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

I bought a set from Quadratec. Actually these:

for part# 13111.02 In retrospect, I would have prefered the mirror movers:
for part# 13125.00 My thinking at the time was that it's easier to leave the mirrors on the doors and just add or remove the other set when the doors are off or on. However, the stock mirrors are far superior. For one thing, the stock passenger mirror has that 'magnified' effect so that I can see more. The after market mirrors did not, so I found I could not see as much as I could compared to stock. Also, they vibrate a lot.

On a related note, I think this is a great product for keeping the doors stored when not on the Jeep:

like their site is currently down. Here is an article about it:
Hope that helps.

Pete

Reply to
Pete Elton

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

I bought a cheap $10 motorcycle replacement mirror and welded the end to bolt. I put the bolt through the hinge and tighten the nut.

It looks good, was cheap, and is totally worthless as a rear view mirror. :-( A motorcycle mirror is too small to be any use on a jeep. It really needs to be bigger so that you can actually see what is behind you. That said it does sort of meet the requirement for two mirrors, so I just look over my shoulder before changing lanes.

Dean

Reply to
Dean

I got one of those omix mirror relocator braket sets, but didn't use the pass side, it's too hard to see with the soft door uppers in. In my state, I only need two rear-facing mirrors anyway. I have hard doors for winter and when I switch to the hard doors I'll just take the mirror off the bracket and store it, leaving the bracket in place. It bolts to the side of the lower half of the windshield hinge.

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

One poster here, Steve uses cheap aftermarket Harley ones.

Mike

Spark wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

'Aftermarket' is the key word....

Mike

"L.W.(ßill) Hughes III" wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

I'm not Steve, but I use aftermarket Harley mirrors on my YJ. They were anything but cheap. Don't you know that the intials H-D stand for "Hundred Dollars"? Even the Harley aftermarket has gotten in on the feculation...sheesh, it's almost as bad as the Jeep aftermarket.

-- Old Crow '82 Shovelhead FLT 92" 'Pearl' '95 Jeep YJ Rio Grande ASE Certified Master Auto Tech + L1 TOMKAT, BS#133, SENS, MAMBM, DOF#51

Reply to
Old Crow

I've got the Omix set too; I put the passenger one on, adjusted it close in so I can see from the driver's seat, and shortened my door strap so nobody can throw the door open and mess it up. That seemed to work pretty well, though you can only still see just the corner of it.

Matt

Reply to
Matt

Well, at the beginning of the summer I posed the same question here. But now I have procrastinated to the point where the hard top will be dragged out of storage soon anyway...

My take on what the best set-up (and what I intend on doing next non-snowwy season) is:

New aftermarket mirror to stick in the hinge bracket for the drivers side. Leave the OE mirrors on the full doors so you get good rearward visability when you need it most (when the top or hard top is up). Screw the passenger side mirror. Who needs it. If 2 mirrors were good enough back in the 60's there probably good enough in the 00's. Let the state "revenue agents" stop me when I've got the doors off if they can... heck, it might even be legal but I'm too lazy to check.

-Fred W '97 TJ Sport

Reply to
Fred W.