Turbo whine w/o turbo

I recently had the 120K mile service done at Performance Buyers Club including water pump and all new drive belts in addition to the timing belt/tensioner/seals. Now, when I rev the car out (6K) I get what sounds exactly like a turbo whine, unfortunately I don't have a turbocharger. Can't get it to make the noise in neutral in my garage, only on the street under load. Although it sounds kind of neat (I can pretend there's a turbo under there), I'm concerned that it's actually a bearing going somewhere. Anyone experience similar problems or have suggestions other than another all day trip up to PBC? TIA for any advice.

Tom

92 Red
Reply to
Tom Howlin

Sounds like my BMW does on a hot day. If it is, it is probably the fan. Not sure if you have a fan clutch, but if you do it is probably "engaged" on a hot day and not slipping causing the air noise.

Come to think of it, I think Miatas have electric fans...

Reply to
sugar