Citroen 1.9TD Turbo probs?

Hi,

My 95 Citroen ZX 1.9TD @ 102k miles has recently started to have turbo whine. Not very loud at the moment but audible. Does this mean my turbo is on the way out? Its the 1.9TD Peugeot unit.

I only use it for work as a runabout and only do 2k miles/year. Is the turbo whine something that normally happens at high mileage but will keep on going or will I need to think about remedial action now? I'm only keeping it this year but would like to sell it privately as a runabout - preferrably with the turbo in serviceable condition.

Cheers,

~Carl

Reply to
Carl

But its not high milage, my mate has just sold one on with 284000 on the clock , are you sure that its the Turbo?

Steve the grease

Reply to
R L Driver

You most likely have a loose clip and your hearing a small leak. Usually this is more of a whistle, but it can be a whine too.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim (Remove NOSPAM. Registry corupted, reformated HD and l

Is it worse when the engine is cold ? Mine has always whined for the first half mile or so when started from cold, but is almost silent when the oil has warmed up.

Has the oil been changed recently ? Although you only do a low mileage, if this consists of loads of short journeys then you should still probably change the oil and filter once a year. Turbo failure is very rare on these, they almost always outlast the engine. In any case, at 2000 miles/year it should last at least another

60 years ;-)

Nick

Reply to
Nick Read

In this news forum, Nick Read exclaimed to the world in his special way:

Thanks Nick. Oil/filter change twice a year on my current annual mileage. When I had to do 90 miles a day to work and back in my last job I was changing every 3k so oil not a prob.

Starts whining from cold when turbo cuts in and last for about 2 seconds until revs get high or I change gear. Does it when warm too. Its not loud enough for people to look yet, but I can hear it thru closed windows.

I was thinking with these low sulphur fuels the turbo components aren't getting enough lubrication - something I read somewhere. I know you can get fuel additive that helps lubricate these turbos. I know how a turbo works from the exhaust gasses forcing the induction of air into the engine, but Im not sure how fuel can lubricate the internal components....

The engine is sound. No oil loss, regular servicing and I never let the engine labour so it runs sweet and has done since I had it (5 years). Oh and it still goes like the clappers too!

~Carl

Reply to
Carl

Almost identical use to mine when I first bought it, I change the oil at around 4 - 4.5k though. I'm sure around this mileage mine tends to get noticeably more 'diesely' sounding and the turbo gets noisier too. Changing the oil and filter always seems to quieten it down again, I've never let it go all the way to the recommended 6k interval.

A couple of years ago, at about 115K miles, I had a very loud whistling from mine at certain revs. (This is a Xantia, but same engine.) Took me months to find the cause because it would only do it under load, never when just revving the engine in neutral. It turned out to be the plasticky inlet manifold gasket becoming brittle and leaking. I replaced it with the metal gasket off an old BX TD engine and its never done it again. This noise wasn't so much a 'whine', as it got worse it was more like a quick blast on a ref's whistle now and then!

I've not heard of this before, the turbo should lubricate itself well enough with its own oil supply from the engine. Your regular oil changes should have prevented any problems in that area.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Read