Weird problem with 1995 Mazda 626 DX -- need good advice

Hi, My 1995 Mazda 626 DX stalls very intermittently every day -- usually when decelarating or idling. A Mazda dealership ran a scan but no codes came up. The mechanic speculated that the distributor was the problem but he was not sure.

I took the car to my personal mechanic and drove it around his shop until it stalled. He checked immediately if there was no fuel or no spark. There was spark but NO fuel. He cracked the line and it started. He later came to the conclusion that it was the fuel pump. I took the risk and he put in a new fuel pump for $700. The car stalled again in the evening in the same manner several times.

I went back to my friend's shop yesterday. A mechanic drove the car for 2 hours before it stalled. He bypassed the relay connected to the fuel pump and it started. He reconnected the relay and it did not start. He put in a different relay. The car stalled again later that day.

We are all gettting a little tired (to say the least). The big question: Has anyone out there come across or heard of that kind of problem?

What could it be? The wiring, the computer, or could it be an erratic distributor?

Thanks a lot in advance.

Eric

P.S. Car starts again immediately or within a few/several minutes after it stalls.

Reply to
Eric

My friend's 626 (V6) had same phenomena as your description. The problem is throttle body duty. After cleaned it up with brake cleaner, also cleaned out carbon that diposited on the IAC, it became normal.

Reply to
llm