What would you charge? - seats

I have a set of black cloth seats from a 1990 miata. They only have 57K miles on them, were covered with some horrible-looking but very protective seat covers for most of their life, and are in excellent, almost brand-new looking condition except for a small very small cut on the back of the passenger seat. They are from a non-smoker's miata. The headrest cutout and plastic shield are there, but they need new wiring harnesses for the speakers. The seat rails are attached.

I am going to sell these locally either through Craigslist or one of the nearby miata clubs if I can find a buyer.

Any ideas on what a fair asking price would be? The only other seats I have sold were so ratty that I practically gave them away.

Thanks!

Pat

Reply to
pws

i often look at completed auctions on ebay to get a sense of what the market will bear. but i only see one example of oem seats recently sold. check out item number 270034625725. a pair that sold for $225 plus $50 shipping from a guy that clearly sell lots of miata stuff of questionable quality... and these have a obvious tear on one of them... so yours are worth at least that much, that is if you can find a buyer locally that wants them. in determining a price i would also consider the fact that aabestco.com sells direct fit hampton leather (leatherette that is actually not bad at all) replacement covers for $225. good luck.

Reply to
Christopher Muto

Cool, thanks for the link, I couldn't find it for some reason.

Did you know that Ebay used to let you look at completed auctions going back 6 months? Now it is 2 weeks with the search engine, though the auction itself stays up for around 90 days if you already know the item number, have it on your Ebay "watched" list, have it bookmarked or whatever.

It is now an additional $10.00 a month in fees to do searches going back

3 months, or $20.00 a month for completed auction searches that go back 6 months. Of course, they were not making enough money before. ;-)

I'll probably do something like $150.00 firm on the seats and see what happens. I am guessing that most of the value is in the driver's seat.

Thanks again,

Pat

Reply to
pws

that is interesting about ebay. they are forever looking to find ways to give less and charge more. since you are no stranger to ebay why not put them up there. if that hdegroof guy could ship the pair for under $50 then you could too. i suppose if you separate the back from the bottom then you could ship the two bottoms in one box and the two backs in another. but i understand the hassle factor in ebay and shipping... this just seems to be one of the times it is worth the effort to get connected to the broader audience. ps. don't you love how he says "no rips or holes" and they display a picture of one with a hole in it?

Reply to
Christopher Muto

pure greed....

I need to find out how he is shipping them so cheaply. It is hard to believe that he could get them from Alabama to somewhere like Washington State or Vermont for that low. It may also just be figured into the cost of business. Ebay buyers are very diverse, but one thing they do not ever like is high shipping charges. His total with shipping was $275.00, it could have easily been lower than that if he had charged $100.00 for shipping. Hmmm....

The winning bidder received the seats and left positive feedback for hdegroof. That may be a large dust spot reflecting the flash, it looks like several are showing. The seats do look dirty. There may have been some shill bids as well, however, possibly even the winner. The whole bidding history looks a little funky, though I am making absolutely no accusations. :-)

My seats definitely look better than these, I may have to go ahead and list them even though it does take quite a while to box the larger things up. That is why I was hoping to sell the seats, doors, hood, fenders, dash, and parts like that locally. Even the M1 trunk lid is very hard to send well-protected without running into oversized package dimensions with UPS or FedX.

Thanks Chris!

Pat

Reply to
pws