White "spots"/corrosion/oxidation of Miata latches and screws???

I have a 2003 Miata that was driven in Florida for the last 2 years. Over the last year, the interior convertible latches, springs, and
screws have developed some sort of white crust/oxidation on the exposed sections. It's not just limited to the interior, since I have also found that some of the screws in the trunk area also have this oxidation. I have tried putting some WD-40 on the affected parts, and it does help, but it doesn't completely remove it.
My Miata has been well maintained and has never experienced any water related damage. When it was last in the shop, I asked the mechanic to check the undercarriage/frame for any evidence of rust and none was found.
Has anyone else seen this on their vehicle? If so, any clue on what causes this or how to remove it?
Thanks!
Chuck
I have been in DeLand, FL for over a year with my 03 and have seen no corrosion problems (yet!). I have seen the same "salt air" corrosion on aluminum window frames, though.
Randy

last 2 years.

springs, and

on the exposed

have also

have this

affected parts, and

experienced any water

the mechanic to

and none was

clue on what

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote in

Hardware store or online:
(Amazon.com product link shortened)684181
Google, as always, is your friend!

Naval Jelly is a powerful rust REMOVER. It is very acidic. I would not recommend it to PREVENT corrosion, especially on zinc based castings like Miata latches.
It is more than a rust remover. There are various types sold under the trade name. It's made for more than just Steel & Iron. The basic gell is for ferrous metals. You can also use several other preperations of milder strength. The idea is to remove or neutralize whatever is causing the powdering. Florida has a common problem with salt in the air. Acidic solutions neutralize salts.
The best long term solution is to microgrit blast parts, and refinish with a baked on finish (Powder coat?)
My 99 has quite a bit of time in SW Florida, and was often parked a hundred feet from the gulf. I haven't had any problems. On the other hand, several late 80's GM cars had problems with door window frames corroding from the inside out. One key practice is to frequently wash and dry a car, and flush the underside as part of the wash.

and
something