Will your Miata protect you in a crash?

About two years ago a guy ran a red light and hit me. Recently someone sent me a link that shows pictures of the accident. I didn't know this story had been written or that the pictures existed until last week. This was my first Miata. I bought it new and drove it for seven months before it was crunched. That's me on the stretcher! Wild. So my answer to the question is YES my Miata protected me very well thank you! I think it is SO cool that these pictures were taken so I could see what happened.

This is the link that was sent to me -

Carol

The miata protected you, but I am only putting a small part of that into the car design in this case, I think that luck played a bigger factor. This wreck should have killed you in almost any normal car, your guardian angel was obviously on hand. I would look at every single day as an extra.......

Of course, the fact that you are a Texan can't have hurt either..... ;-)

Glad you are ok,

Pat

Reply to
pws

"Carol" wrote in news:1Wzsg.26796$ snipped-for-privacy@tornado.texas.rr.com:

You're VERY lucky! Glad you made it, sorry about the Miata.

Reply to
XS11E

Ha!! Here I was crediting a High Being along with Great Engineering and Dumb Luck. I forgot the Texan part...that's VITAL!! ;) Thanks Pat -Carol

Reply to
Carol

My feelings exactly. AND. I was in my second Miata before five months had passed. Black cherry this time. Zoomzoom... Friends/family say "but those little cars are death traps!" I say "OH YEAH??? Not from where I'm standing."

Reply to
Carol

An interesting discussion with those who study the accident stats would be as follows; "Does 'rack + pinion' type ( 1 to 1 ) steering give greater control and response, and thereby lead to greater accident avoidance"?

My personal feeling is that it does, however the person behind the wheel may be the crit factor. R+P steering in the hands of an idiot could be even more "fateful"..

Reply to
Remove This

"Carol" wrote in news:kvatg.31171$ snipped-for-privacy@tornado.texas.rr.com:

A MUCH safer car since they're so much slower than the white ones!

Leon will explain about the photon drag...

Reply to
XS11E

Ha! I'm familiar with the theory of Photon Drag. I've witness the "scientific" discussions here. I'll stay out of that one. And religion. And politics. :)

Reply to
Carol

Yes the idiot behind the wheel can not be ruled out. I do believe that if I'd had even a second to react I could have maybe gotten at least a LITTLE bit out of this guy's way but because of the angle of the intersection and the speed he was going (through a red light!) I literally never saw him coming.

As for rack & pinion... can't imagine a car without it. Actually yeah I remember my 1982 Ford Crown Vic. Man I could live without remembering THAT car.

Reply to
Carol

"Carol" wrote in news:xsctg.31202$ snipped-for-privacy@tornado.texas.rr.com:

You mean you won't discuss Windows vs Linux vs MAC? How about AMD vs Intel? iNvidia vs VIA?

OK, how about one that's much less controversial: Sunni vs Shiite?

Or if you REALLY want to get into religion, politics and everything else: Tastes Great! vs Less Filling!

So back on topic: Which oil is best for my Miata?

DUCK! INCOMING!

Reply to
XS11E

A "High Being"? Actually, that is probably correct, what sober Supreme Being could possibly create a world as goofy as this one?

We'll cover "Higher Being" in our discussions on religion, general politics, abortion, gun control, preferred computer operating systems and whether American or European football is better. Or not..... ;-)

Pat

Reply to
pws

Engine oil works best. Other types of oil such as vegetable oil can cause a lot of problems when used in an engine. ;-)

Hey, you asked for it........

Pat

Reply to
pws

pws wrote in news:niGtg.589$ snipped-for-privacy@tornado.texas.rr.com:

Vegetable oil works best if used correctly. First you gotta take the sheets off the waterbed, then you put a small puddle of oil on the plastic mattress, then you both get naked and....

Reply to
XS11E

Four words:

Sticky Green Marine Grease.

You both stay slippery for months...... :-)

Pat

Reply to
pws

Reply to
Carol

"Carol" wrote in news:fyUtg.2580$ snipped-for-privacy@tornado.texas.rr.com:

Top posting corrected:

No, that's a VERY bad thing. Sticky Green Marine Grease tastes AWFUL when you lick it off the other person, you should always use a good quality salad oil!

Question for the group: Is there any remote possibility we might be drifting off topic?

Reply to
XS11E

Good. The word is getting out. :))

I wonder why you quote "scientific"? Anyway, there is little need to discuss the facts in that clear matter. I just want to note that some years ago we had an animated discussion in this group about the corner of a Miata windshield header standing up quite solidly to hitting the ground when that Miata rolled at Thunderhill. I was told by "witnesses" that the windshield never hit the ground, though I had examined the car with my own eyes and I could clearly see that the clods had been ground forcefully in the gaps between windshield and glass. Right. Moreover, I explained that the windshield design had a lot of profile and should not be underestimated. Which was laughed off.

So I take pleasure to note that it seems to me from the pictures that the windshield construct has stood up quite well, even compared to the "actual car". It isn't a roll bar, but it is no cardboard either! I also noticed that in the 2006, there is an actual circular pipe going down the interior of the header...

Sure.

If you stay out of religion, does that make you an atheist? Just wondering? Nothing wrong with that.

I wished more Texans followed your excellent example.

Leon

Reply to
Leon van Dommelen

Should we change the subject to "Will your Miata protect you in a crash if it is coated with a good quality salad oil?"

Reply to
Carol

I agree - I credit the windshield header a LOT. If it had given way when the truck landed on me I would not be in the good condition I am in now. I am VERY impressed that, while the entire front of the car is basically mangled and crushed and torn to shreds, the actual passenger compartment was not violated. All of my injuries were to parts of me that moved and hit things when the truck hit me - broken leg, pelvis, shoulder, arm, head injury - all parts that were flopping around. But the truck did not make it into the passenger area, and that means I DID make it out. And lived to buy another Miata. Woo!

That's not to say that if the truck had hit me a foot or two farther back that they wouldn't have been hosing me off the street instead of flying me to a trauma center....but that brings us back to the whole religion thing...and the photon drag thing, too....

If it will keep me out of the Photon Drag argument sure I'll agree with that. :)

...especially the ones that run for political office.

Reply to
Carol

Off topic ???????? Yes, but it sounds like it is going in the correct direction! :-)

Bruce Bing '03 LS

Reply to
BRUCE HASKIN