Engine Check light went out by itself

Last Friday when I was going out for lunch my car started running VERY rough. Barely running. I had driven into work that morning and it was fine. Anyways it just turned out to be bad plug wires (since they were still the originals at 63,000). This all caues the engine check light to come on. I figure I'll just disconnect the battery and clear it. I didn't have a chance to get to it and 2 days later the engine check light is off. I thought they just stayed on until you clear them. Is this a normal thing to have it shut off by itself?

Reply to
Scott Streeter

I think after about 5 cycles of no code, the light will shut off by itself. The code should still be in memory if your car is OBD II. (95 and newer).

Reply to
Mike

Is it reasonable to assume that if the plug leads are original, then you haven't changed the timing belt?

Reply to
<SnowGhost>

Mine also went out by itself but it took longer, more like a month.

Reply to
miker

is it normal for the check engine light to go out by itself? yes. i had the check engine light try to scare me regularly when i hit a certain incline on a route that i regularly travel. it would go out 20 miles later. this happened repeatedly. then i stopped topping off the gas when i filled the tank and made sure the gas cap was on securely and it never came back. exact same issue with a friends mazda mini van...

Reply to
Christopher Muto