240 TD what is it worth?

I am new to Mercedes cars, my problem is I am in two minds to buy this old

240 diesel estate. It is tatty, has no wheel trims, a bit of rust. It has done 220,000 miles, no problem for a diesel merc I would of thought. It has 10 months MOT on it, and 6 months tax. It is on a c reg plate. He wants 375 uk pounds for it. I want to run it as a second car, do you think it would cost me much for things like wheel trims and a set of the rims for around the arches. I couldn't get over how well the car drove for the age and the way it looked. I have to make my mind up by tomorrow, so could anybody out there give me advice as to if it's worth it, how long it will go for if I change the oil regularly and start to look after it from now on.

Regards

Adrian.

Reply to
swanseaview

The rust and trim depend on your standards. A diesel is a compression engine so its condition will be revealed by a compression test - that's the only way to really know about a diesel.

Unless you're under some time pressure I suggest you shop a bit, most M-Bs are good drivers and not all have gone 220K miles. That's a lot; don't forget that cars also have suspensions, transmissions and drive trains, all of which wear with the miles.

Reply to
T.G. Lambach