300TD Wagan Antenna

The anttenna on our 84 TD Wagon hasn't worked in some time. Today I took it apart as I was told all I needed to do was tighten the nut on the clutch. Well, I didn't see any clutch bold. So, I shook a bunch of debri out and put it back in. Low and behold it started to work again, mostly. It will go all the way up but not all the way down. It lacks about a quarter of it's travel in going all the way down. Please advise on how to make it it go the full travel. I have the MB manuals but not mention of the atenna motor/mechanism.

Reply to
Tom Sours

Camille

With antenna extended, check each segment with a straight-edge to see if it may be bent.

Scott D

Reply to
Scott D

I'm not sure which antenna exactly you have, but I have a Hirschmann in my 1980 300SD. I had a similar problem. In my unit, there is a spring loaded roller that presses the plastic cable against the wheel. The roller hinge points were rusted, so I removed it, cleaned, oiled it, and voilla, it's working perfectly again.

There are also replacement antenna masts with cable available on ebay for about $20. Some of these cables have teeth for traction and when they get worn out, need to be replaced.

Also, I'm assuming you already cleaned and lubed the mast sections, right?

Reply to
Chet Hayes