74 240D block heater and seat restuffing

Me again. I have a 74 240D, and I live in Columbus Ohio. It's gonna get really cold here come January, and I wanted to know if getting a block heater was actually worth the cost and installation headache. It's gotten below freezing overnight a couple of times, but after I heat the glow plugs up (and dump in some of that anti-gelling additive), it starts just fine. And sadly, I have to leave the car outside - no indoor parking is available.

Help? I posted a question about a parking brake earlier, and it was answered really well by Alex Hemmerich.

Also, I'm thinking about restuffing the front bucket seats (I have green MB-Tex, so I'm not going to reupholster the seats). Any pitfalls I should be wary of? I've removed the seats before, so that's not an issue. Thanks again!

Reply to
Sunilito

well, thanks :O)

why don't you just get an electric coolant heater... does pretty much the same and u don't have to mess with the engine block those come in different types either a simple one, where u just wind some wiring around a coolant hose (don't like those) or u get a professional one, where it is actually integrated into the coolant cricle (not at the block), some even control blower fan and or can be timed or remotely controlled

maybe some other can tell u more about availability and places to buy

do you have pictures of your 74? cause i am close to getting a 75 230.4 and was just wondering

"Sunilito" schrieb im Newsbeitrag news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com...

Reply to
Alex Hemmerich

What's the problem? It starts.

In bitterly cold weather you ought to glow it several times before cranking the engine.

Reply to
T.G. Lambach

I have pictures of my MB at

It's not much to look at, but she's got it where it counts.

Also, any suggestions on fixing the manual window regulator? I bought one of those MB regulator repair kits, but what's happened is that the quarter gear-wheel that interfaces with the window crank gear is now hanging in the door. Now, no matter where I put that wheel against the window crank gear, the window doesn't crank up.

And is the coolant heater harder or easier to install than the block heater? Where exactly would the block heater be installed? Would it be screwed in where a drain plug currently exists, or something like that?

Reply to
Sunilito