Bosch Alt info

82 300sd oem alt is a AL80X 55amp and the updated is the AL117X 65amp. My question is do I need the Condenser that is mounted to the back of the alternator MB #001 156 69 01 or 001 156 16 01. If I do can i use a condenser from say an old chevy point set up?
Reply to
Brad

Condensor? Wouldn't that be a regulator? THey're like $18 new and you want the right one.

Reply to
Richard Sexton

The condenser is the radio interference suppressor. If you have a radio, yes you need it, but it is best practice to have one anyway. You can use any suppressor as long as it is a similar value (same or larger). Its only a capacitor. I'm sure that any auto accessory shop will stock a radio suppressor that you can use. You sometimes need to fit them to motors (windscreen wiper/heater etc) so they are easily found. That is all you need. Just connect it up the same. Why is yours faulty?. Is it mechanically damaged. They should pretty much last forever (certainly the life of the car).

Cheers... Rob.

"Brad" wrote:

Reply to
Rob. Smith

Yes mine is faulty (broken wire). The value on mine is 2.2uf and I am not sure of the value of say an ignition condenser. As for the life of the car it is an 82 with over 510k and still runs great. Thanks for all your help.

Reply to
Brad