CHECK ENGINE LIGHT

I JUST PURCHASED A 1996 E 320 I WAS DRIVING YESTERDAY AND THE CHECK ENGINE ELECTRONICS LIGHT CAME ON. AS I AM NEW TO OWNING A MERCEDES I AM READY TO TAKE IT TO THE DEALER TO HAVE IT SERVICE BUT I ASSUME THIS WILL COST A LOT. IS IT OKAY TO LET A REGULAR MECHANIC TAKE A LOOK OR DOES IT HAVE TO BE SERVICED BY THE DEALER ANY SUGGESTIONS WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED.

THANKS SKIVELLI

Reply to
ANDRE NIMMONS via CarKB.com

If you are a little handy, you can go to an Autozone or some autoparts store that can let you use their OBD2 scanner. Plug it in and read the P code. It'll give you an idea of why it came on.

Reply to
tobybul

Yeah, and please stop shouting.

Marty

Reply to
Martin Joseph

thanks for the info. is this a normal thing?

Reply to
ANDRE NIMMONS via CarKB.com

sorry about the shouting marty

Reply to
ANDRE NIMMONS via CarKB.com

Have the bulb removed so it doesn't light up! It could mean you need plugs and wires (ouch!), a rear axle speed sensor, or a black box computer to replace a bad one behind the left kick panel. P.

Reply to
Peter

Take off the gas cap and reinstall it to the correct "stop" or position. Drive the car for up to a week and see if the light doesn't go out again.

Reply to
mmg

The CAPS... the CAPS he meant

cp

Reply to
cp

What? I am deaf after all that shouting...

Reply to
Tiger

:-)

cp