low gear transmission thunk

I hve a 98 C230 with 92k miles...the car runs well and looks great, so I am not thinking of trading. However, in recent days, I have noticed the definite feel and sound of a "thunk" when I am slow rolling, as in heavy traffic, from 1st to 2nd and similarly when downshifting from 2nd to first.

I know that the tranny case is sealed, but I am still thinking that a change of fluid and filter would not be a bad idea. If anyone has some experience with what I hope is a minor problem, thanks for your help and advice.

Sherm

Reply to
Sherman Kaplan

Flex disks ? When were they replaced ? Peter

Reply to
Peter W Peternouschek

Agreed.... These are part of the driveline that originally were badly designed and DO fail. I just replace the forward one in my 1986 190e, which fixed my clunking.

Better then a tranny problem, so keep your fingers crossed.

Marty

Reply to
Martin Joseph

Marty, how hard was it to do? A 'short' step by step would be wonderful!

cheers, guenter

Reply to
Guenter Scholz

I'm not too experienced about repairs and will have my mechanic do the work. What are flex disks, or will he know what I am talking about when I mention the problem...and what are your recommendations about doing the fluid and filter change as I approach 100,000 miles? Thanks...

Sherm

Reply to
Sherman Kaplan

If he does not know what the driveline flex disks are get a different mechanic. Relatively simple job I changed the front one on my 190e 2.6 and it took me a couple of hours. Considering that it was the first time I did that I would expect an experienced mechanic could do this job a lot quicker. The flex disk was about $60 if I remember correctly. I am a firm believer in regular transmissionn fluid and filter changes. MB at one time recommended trans fluid changes at 30k miles. I understand they got away from that because people were overfilling the trans and creating all kinds of problems for MB. Peter

Reply to
Peter W Peternouschek

thanks for the info and advice. you have saved me some anxiety...and probably some cash...:-)

Sherm

Reply to
Sherman Kaplan

Peter, how about a 'short' step by step of how you replaced the flex disk. It would be a good thing to know for many people.

cheers, guenter

Reply to
Guenter Scholz

Not too hard, I didn't even need to remove the driveshaft, which was surprising to me. I pretty much learned this from Tiger, who posted here a brief howto on the way to do this.

Really pretty simple, the flex disks are basically black round hockey puck looking things when you look at the driveshaft, althought they are a bit thinner then a hockey puck and slightly large in diameter.

It was NOT obvious to be that this flexdisk was toast the first couple of times I looked at it, so you need to really look at the connecting aspects of this to see if it's still stable.

Marty

Reply to
Martin Joseph