Oil comes on intermittently - oil level not that low

My oil light has been coming on intermittently. Comes out for about a minute and then goes off again.

Checked the oil level and its half way between Min and Max so it aint that bad. Shoudl the oil be coming on like this ?

I would have thought the oil light would only come on when its near the Min level ?

Reply to
Paul W

what year is it?

i wouldnt be driving it like that

Reply to
Uncle Chop Chop

The light came on because the oil pressure is too low. I suggest you fix this problem before you continue to drive it.

Reply to
Tiger

'99 250TD

Reply to
Paul W

Mmm... that's too new to have oil pressure problem. I suggest you have the oil pump tested. Maybe you just got a faulty sensor.

Reply to
Tiger

According to manual, light is just for oil level....

Its been OK since I topped it up. Guessing it may be a slight problem with the light coming on too early !!!!

Reply to
Paul W

Better than the other way around I guess !!! !!!

300 Essie
Reply to
300 Essie

Then you got a faulty sensor... which is pretty easy to replace.

Reply to
Tiger

You will find that as the oil level gets down below a half quart from full, the low oil level light will first start coming on after making a hard left turn. The sensor is on one side of the oil pan. It will go out again as the oil level in the pan stabilizes.

Pete Cowper (1987 300E)

Reply to
Pete Cowper