Older MB diesel start switch question

This is just informational, not a problem per se:

I have a '79 240D, '82 300TD, and '81 300SD. They are all quirky in their own ways but there is one common quirk I've always been curious about. If you turn the key to crank the engine and it doesn't start (or starts and dies, or you turn it off) you have to turn the key all the way out to the lock position take it out and put it back in to make it crank again. There is some kind of lock that prevents you from just turning it back to crank.

Why?

Reply to
runbiodiesel

You should not have to pull the key out. Just turn it all the off till it stops and turn it back to crank. It is there so you cannot engage the starter after it is running.

Reply to
Karl

So one doesn't "start" an already running engine!

Reply to
-->> T.G. Lambach

On Feb 1, 11:52=A0pm, "-->> T.G. Lambach

Reply to
runbiodiesel

I had a 75 BMW 2002 that had that feature also.

Reply to
weelliott

My 2000 VW Jetta was the same way also. Apparently, its a German thing.

Reply to
DougS