Over-voltage relay question

Hi All,

Thanks to 'Bnzmn600' on this group, I think I've found the problem with my Jan '88 230TE W124's reluctance to start when cold.

'Bnzmn600' suggested the over-voltage relay so I tried the following test.

Car wont start when cold and wont allow me to press the accelerator without dying until temp is up to 60. After that it runs perfectly. So as a test I removed the fuse from the relay and without the fuse the symptoms were EXACTLY the same over a period of 3 days. To me this points to the fact that the relay is not working even with the fuse in it (correct me if there is a flaw to my logic)

Having decided to risk my diagnosis and get a new relay I find that for '88 models there are 2 different relays, mine has a silver one with 1 fuse but there is a red one with 2 fuses. My question is 'Are They Interchangable ???'

The red one fitted to later models appears to be a redesign of a known problem part, but will it work in my motor or do I need to get the silver one.

Thanks Dave

PS whilst your reading this does anyone know the ignition timing setting for this motor (2.3 102) when running on unleaded fuel ??

Reply to
Technoferret

the redesigned part was meant to replace the older one. get the red.

Reply to
atwifa

Yes the newer relay will fit. Martin Autobahn Auto

Reply to
Bnzmn600