Question on removal of springs for C240

Hi Fellow Amateur Mercedes Mechanics,

I am thinking on installing a sport suspension on my 2001 C240. I have some questions on the removal of the springs, both front and rear. Hopefully, someone out there have already had the experience.

On the front Mcpherson struts, do I need to install a spring compressor before removing the strut assembly from the chassis? In other words, if I loosen the top nut, will the whole thing shoot downwards toward the ground - and leave a crater?

On the rear springs,do I need to use a spring compressor? I am replacing the shocks at the same time. If I loosen the shock at one end, the suspension arm will go down even more, perhaps enough so that the spring is fully expanded and not under tension. I notice the Mercedes-specific rear spring compressors (Klann, Baum, etc) sold on eBay do not include the W203 (C240 and C320) chassis on their application list, which makes me wonder if it is necessary to use a spring compressor at all. Thanks.

Reply to
Tom Quan