W123 Mirror Removal

I want to remove the inside rear-view mirror. All the manual says is "Pull off the mirror". I've pulled hard in all directions but it does not budge. Is there a trick for this?

Thanks

Reply to
Commuter

Assuming it is the same as W201, W124 & W126, push it sideway.

This is how I do it:

  1. Open either front door, then bend your upper body into the car.
  2. Use one hand to hold the lower stem (not mirror), the other hand holding the roof. The mirror base (or the top, the mounting base on the roof) is spring loaded. Doing this can allow my whole body weight do the work, slowly and in a controllable way.
  3. Lean you body to push the mirrow toward the other door, while the other hand holding the roof so you won't fall when the base comes out.

Installation:

  1. Slide one end of the spring into the bracket.
  2. Hold a hammer on the metal end. Use the handle to push the other side of spring into the bracket. In aonther word, the hammer looks like an upside-down "T", and you push UP.

Once you get the point, this is a 5-minute job.

Good luck

Commuter wrote:

Reply to
Wan-ning Tan