W124 A/C Question

Lately I've noticed that the air conditioning in my '91

300D 2.5 doesn't cool very well while driving at less than freeway speeds. At first I wrote it off to the fact that the compressor simply isn't turning very fast at low engine RPM, and that the unprecedented heat wave the San Francisco area is going through right now is overpowering what would ordinarily be satisfactory A/C performance.

However, I once had the same problem with a Toyota pickup I used to own. Then I discovered a small, knurled plastic knob under the dash marked "speed." I turned it all the way down (anticlockwise), and the probem was solved: all of a sudden the air conditioning blew cold even with the engine at idle.

Is there an equivalent adjustment that can be made on W124s?

Tired of sweating, Geoff

Reply to
Geoff Miller

You need to check if aux fan is coming on... I am battling this situation with my diesel too. In the meantime, I simply disconnected the two prong blue sensor in front of the engine and the aux will default to high speed. Then my AC really cools down.

If your Aux fan does work, then you need to check your refrigerant level.

Reply to
Tiger

Is your condenser clean? If not, clean it. I did this to my C36, the other day, and the difference was night and day. Amazing how many bugs and dirt can accumulate there.

Reply to
Kenneth P. Stox

Yes the aux fan was a big contributor to the issues with the A/C on my 190e...

Reply to
Martin Joseph