W124 headlight wiper (one side only) goes on with headlights...

My '91 300TE starts the left side headlight wiper working (wiping) whenever I turn on the headlights. I am also getting the "bulb out" dash light... but all bulbs are working. The wiper does stop when the car slows and stops, then starts up again on acceleration! The car must be in motion for the wiper to start its wiping... Any ideas?

Thought it may be an aftermarket bulb somewhere setting the dash light aglow...

Reply to
James

I forgot to add... the windshield wiper comes on also... for just 3 cycles, when the headlights are on...

Reply to
James

James I own a 1990 300TE and have had similar electrical problems. You have a short, most likely.

The wipers are wired such that they will activate IF your headlights are on AND you choose to spray the windshield with fluid. The logic is, if windshield is dirty, and lights on, activate headlight wipers.

So, I would say you have a short between the front headlight and the control unit from which the wires eminate.

Because the "bulb out" light on the dashboard is lit, I would say you have a headlight wire and a wiper motor wire rubbing together, or conducting across an insertion point. Check the wires beginning at the headlight, and move back to their source. If you can spot the rubbing wires (maybe plastic is worn off?) you can fix. Also, corrosion could be a problem. Does it snow where you live?

If you can't spot the problem are, you will have to hire someone to hunt it down. Expen$ive at $50+ per hour.

Best of luck Jason

Reply to
Jason M.