Attaching a winch to a TD

Hi,

It looks like I've just purchased a '52 TD. Although it has an MOT and appears to run OK, I need to transport it over 100 miles. I don't fancy driving an unknown quantity that far, and the owner doesn't think the brakes are spectacular either, so I'm going to put it onto a trailer and tow it away.

As will become apparent, I know absolutely nothing about these cars (it's called learning the hard way :-)), I do not know the best place to attach the winch. I guess I could pull backwards, attaching the winch to the back axle, but it might foul the rear bodywork. The owner told me it can be attached to the front bumper, to which I raised an eyebrow, but he assures me it has a large bolt direct into the chassis. (We might be able to drive it onto the trailer of course, but then again we might not...)

Any ideas, please?

Also, the car has no sidescreens. I had a quick look at some of the MG Owners bumph, expecting to see an item like 'Sidescreen set for TD', but there seemed to be all sorts of bits required. I know there is a large front set and a smaller rear set, but what exactly should I be asking for please?

Finally, given I'm an ageing old git with a clean driving record, any recommendation for insurance? The MGOC (via Lancaster) wanted £127 for a 2k mile limit, which seemed a bit stiff to me.

Thanks very much,

Paul.

Reply to
Paul

The front bumper is indeed connected to the chassis by a large bolt, and looping a rope around the bumper irons at that point will be ok. (as long as there is no rust in the chassis at that point )

Cheers Ian F

Reply to
Liz and Ian

I would advise you to set up a search on

for the sidecurtains. They do appear from time to time. I see them on ebay.com here in the states, so they must also appear in the uk. You can save the search and they will email you whenever the search gets a hit.

If you would like digital pictures of my set (MG TF) let me know.

-Rock

Rocky Frisco's LIBERTY website:
's best free News Service:

Rocky Frisco

Congratulations! You'll be having a load of fun!

Be careful of the front bumper as the metal isn't the strongest. I dented mine doing just as you propose.

If you can get your winch cable around the front cross member, just under the front engine mount, you'll have a nice stout place to pull on. In any case keep the pressure slow and easy.

There are 2 bow (early) and 3 bow (later) tops. Sorry I can't help you with the difference, but side curtains are specific to the number of bows. This is a good site for details on TD's:

Also see if you can find a workshop manual for the TD/TF.

Sorry, can't help you there. Rates in Texas don't easily compare.

Pete ('53 TD)

Reply to
Peter Moreau

Thanks very much indeed for those very useful responses.

Interesting that sidescreens may be referred to as 'sidecurtains' Stateside.

As it happens, and with extreme fortune, I have a large supplier of seemingly all TD parts only ten miles away! So I intend to take the car there, and the most helpful owner will be able to tell me exactly what it is I need. So it depends how much they are new and how long I can wait for used items to appear.

Thanks again.

Paul.

Reply to
Paul

I use a towing bridle - a length of webbing strap with D-shackles each end, and another shackle to attach it to the winch cable. You can then attach to the front suspension lower wishbones. I wouldn't risk the bumper.

A further tip: don't lash the bodywork down to the trailer - secure it by its unsprung bits. If you lash the body or the chassis, there's always a risk that upwards acceleration of the trailer will slacken the tie-downs sufficiently to briefly unload them completely. At this point, there's a risk of a hook releasing. This will then be followed by a massive shock loading on the straps and the bit of TD they're fastened to as the trailer accelerates downwards.

Last thought on towing - I assume you're planning to hire a really decent trailer, but is your car up to it? Check your car handbook, allowing say 600kg at least for the trailer. Or would you like a quote? ;-)

Try Peter Best. They've insured this old git for less than that for a YB and for a Midget.

Reply to
Autolycus

FWIW, here's a link to my Victor TF, with authentic TF sidescreens (curtains):

-Rock

Rocky Frisco's LIBERTY website:
's best free News Service:

Rocky Frisco

Thanks. I know the sort of thing you mean, but I suspect time will now dictate that I would be unable to obtain such an item :-(

Noted, thanks.

Trailer with hydraulic tilting flatbed will be used. I'm towing with a LWB Trooper, so I don't expect any problems. (I've got plenty of towing experience, BTW, so that part of it doesn't faze me.)

I've sorted it now thanks, £100 from Heritage. Interestingly, the RAC were pretty cheap at £81, BUT they would only insure the MG 3rd party whilst it was on the trailer.

Regards,

Paul.

Reply to
Paul