MGB 6v Batteries

I'm faced with the usual "first signs of spring dead 6v batteries" problem.

Has anyone done a 2 x 6v to 1 x 12v battery conversion? If so what's involved and where did you get the bits?

Many thanks

Reply to
Martin Akehurst

No bits really required (except perhaps to get/modify brackets to suit a small 12V battery) My 1970 MGB has a single 12V in the passenger's side battery box which was picked to allow fitting without modifying the box itself the positive battery cable were re-routed to that side and the earth is ok as is. It should leave you with a spare crossover cable.

The other option which I did in my 1968 MGC GT is to substitue 2 x 12v batteries (in paralell instead of in series) for the normally installed 2 x

6v batteries. It does have the advantage that it increases the amount of current available and seems to last longer before going flat, although the batteries should always be replaced as a pair if this route is chosen as one faulty battery in paralell will rob charge from the healthy one.

Believe it or not replacing 2 x 12V is cheaper than 2 x 6V these days (and definitely a lot easier to find)!! Most very small car batteries are suitable for use but the current is a little for a MGB class car (and definitely insufficient for a MGC class due to extra current required to turn the bigger engine over)

Hope this Helps

Tom Edge

Reply to
Thomas Edge

I believe size 26 fits into the MGB battery compartment. The conversion is straightforward from there - just keep the second battery bay empty or use it as storage. I also use the plastic boxes that Moss Motors in the US sells, in which case you would need to make a hole in the box for the wire leads.

Thanks,

-Dima

Reply to
Dima