MGB Fuel Tank Refinishing Question

I took off the fuel tank from my 1979 MGB and took it to a auto repair place that specializes in fuel tank repairs. The tank to me seems to just have surface rust on it but the person at the auto repair place was saying that if it was sandblasted, it may weaken the tank and put a whole in it. Of course he wanted to plastic coat the tank for $200-250 and I told him no thanks.

Is a 24 year old MGB fuel tank really that thin that it could not take a light sandblasting? Thanks in advance for any help on this.

Bob Krzewinski

Reply to
Wolverbob

Fuel tanks do seem to rot over the years, yes. Partly this comes about due to the way water can condense on the inside and sink to the bottom, when the car isn't being used. If it is still on the original tank, you're doing quite well already. I wouldn't repair it anyway, I would get a new one, made up by someone who fabricates custom tanks. Course, if you are in the States, that might not be so simple.

Reply to
Sales!

Try:-

and buy a new replacement tank.

Reply to
Ian Edwards

Why not get a new one? They don't cost that much in the UK from the MG owners club... Simon

Reply to
Simon Green - Internet Systems