MGF Alarm headache

First time owning an MG, so first post to this group. Hope you're all well :-)

I've recently bought a 1996 model MGF, which is in great condition and is ticking all the boxes... but it has a problem with the alarm. It's one of those that gets paranoid and goes off without any provocation whatsoever. I suspected cats, foxes, neighbourhood kids, but it went off while I was walking toward it today (I was still four or five metres away) with absolutely no justification.

I really do want the alarm to work, if possible - but my problem is that you can't lock the damn doors without activating it. So, does anyone know what could be wrong, what I can do to fix it, and if it is possible in the short term to disable it?

Many thanks,

Reply to
Chris Weston

Is it parked anywhere near a transmitter of any kind?

Mine used to go off when it was in the garage and we used the microwave.

Have you checked the current drain on the battery? If there's something left on the alarm can go off as the voltage drops in the battery.

Reply to
Nick Mason

whatsoever. I

Perhaps it was hungry :) No, this has gone off in all sorts of places, including a big, empty supermarket car park.

How would I do that? I have a multimeter, but how do I check the current drain? I'm a bit of a novice when it comes to car electrics.

Thanks,

Reply to
Chris Weston

That's not impossible. I used to go to an office in Wolverhampton and park in a supermarket next door. There was a radio mast at the side of the super market and it stopped my remote locking from working, I had to use the key to lock and unlock the car. Some cars would lock and the alarm set but wouldn't unlock, if you used the key the engine wouldn't start because the alarm immobiliser was active. The AA/RAC used to tow cars a hundred yards down the road and they'd be fine!

You disconnect to +ve lead from the battery, set your meter to read current and make sure it can cope, that's to say don't set it to read milliamps!

with everything off there should be very little current drain. There will be some as the clock will still be working and there's a flashing LED for the alarm, I can't remember if it's 0.2A or 0.02A, small anyway. when you open a door and the interior light comes on you'll see the current rise.

If you see any appreciable current when you shouldn't you can start removing fuses until it stops, that will tell you where to look.

To be honest I'd get someone to check the alarm, it could be the volumetric sensors in the car are too sensitive or something.

Reply to
Nick Mason

Yep, I had a word with a local dealer, who won't charge me much to check it out, so I think that's what I'll do.

Thanks for your advice.

Reply to
Chris Weston

Reply to