Restoring a '70 MGB Roadster

I have had a my 70 roadster for over 14 years and decided this summer to begin the much needed restoration. Motor was done a while back, and I took care of some of the rust 10 years ago in the sills, but the time has come....fix it or sell it! So I looked at Jeep Wranglers with the idea of changing to one of those, but came back to the MG since I had one in college and now later in life. My problem is the clutch. I stored the car over the winter about 6 years ago and it has set since this summer. when I went to start the car it started fine with a new battery and petro, but the clutch did not engage. After crawling under the bugger I hit the clutch fork attached to the clutch slave and it started working. Now it hangs up all the time and the clutch seems to actually lock up on me and becomes hard as a rock. when I pull the plate off the master cylinder and tap the cylinder there is a "woosh" and then the clutch loosens up again. could I get away with just a kit to redo the cylinder and slave or does you think I need both new? Help! Car is very undependable at this point when the clutch does not release and locks up.

Jerry Kousen

Reply to
Jerry W. Kousen

It may well be that the hydraulics are fine but the fork is worn. With a fork worn in the right way, if the fork is in the wrong position, the slave is basically trying to snap the fork rather than pivot it. Eventually, the fork repositions and will operate until it gets back into the locking up position.

The way I would approach this is to remove the slave from the gearbox and test that with the master pushing something else rather than the fork. If it is perfect, then probably look at the fork instead. AFAIK the fork needs the gearbox and engine separating so I'd leave that until last. I could easily be wrong.

Apparently >did not engage. After crawling under the bugger I hit the clutch fork

Reply to
Sales!

More hints:

Whats more you could have a look through the hole and check if its located correctly.

You can't stop the piston in the slave cylinder within it self - will pop out.

You should be able to push the slave piston back to the bottom by hand.

Give the slave a hone and pop another new seal in. You could even clean it up using your finger with 400/800 wet and dry - brake fluid for lubrication. rinse with metho or water.

rm

Reply to
Rob

I had that "hard as a rock" pedal happen to me on my '69 B. Turned out the rubber hose in the clutch hydralic line had fragmented inside and the debris sometimes blocked the hose. Solution: replace the hose.

Hope this helps,

CR

Jerry W. Kousen wrote:

Reply to