2004 Mini S Oil Filter Removal

My 2004 MCS Just went off warranty and now I am doing my own changes. Problem is that the oil filter housing refuses to turn even with the shallow 36mm socket and a long socket wrench for a fair amount of torque.

Any suggestions in getting this housing off without breaking it? Should the engine be hot? I have tried when it was only warm. There isn't much room to work in this area.

Pinwiz

Reply to
Pinwiz

Metal expands when hot. You may also want to google mini s oil change. I know there is a web site which offers a step by step procedure. I had the site bookmarked but as luck would have it, I removed it last week.

Reply to
nobody

Thanks for the help.

The website was helpful.

Making the break when the engine was close to operating temp made the difference.

I have been changing oil and filters myself for 40 years but this was the most difficult.

Next time it will take 20 minutes.

Pinwiz

Reply to
Don Olsen