ODBII

does any one know is the mini has a automatic odbII code reader onboard(like my dodge p/u does). The shop wants to charge a friend $600
for a service. I know i can do it for less but need the codes and a list of what the codes mean.
    Any mini basics i would love to know about
ie what kind of plug they like(NGK-basch-camp). Any little tricks you-all have for serviceing the little things.