Speedometer Drive Gears

I swapped my gearbox but kept used the drive gears from the old box as I didn't know what the box was from and thought that the gears would be matched to the speedo. The speedo is under reading by quite an amount e.g 25 mph on the speedo is 30mph.

Does the speedometer drive gear match the gearbox or the head unit or combination of gearbox, diff and head unit?

Can they be swapped without taking the engine out again?

Peter

TurboJo

See the following article:

mwalsh

Although I don't know that final drive ratio is fitted if I'm reading the info correctly I should have kept the Speedo drive gears that were in the gear box I 've fitted.

So I have to work out a way of getting to it to swap it out with the engine in place.

Cheers

Reply to
TurboJo

As long as the tyres are the same diameter as the car the new box came out of!

They are long studs on the speedo housing, have fun! I think that it is possible but it would probably be a nice job if you could lift the engine a bit and remove the rad if you have one fitted on the side.

miniman

Reply to
miniman